Thursday, August 19, 2010

Spaghetti squash

I grow several varieties of pumpkins; the one with the naked seeds indeed for the delicious seeds, the small sweet orange Uchi Kuri and the spaghetti squash. The spaghetti squash (Cucurbita pepo) is also called vegetable spaghetti, noodle squash or spaghetti marrow and when raw, the flesh is solid and similar to other raw squash but cooked, the flesh falls away from the fruit in ribbons or strands like spaghetti. I found interesting and very healthy recepies on the internet; Spaghetti Squash with Pumpkin seed Pesto

However I made a less healthy but very tasty Pumpkin Pear Plum Pie with it;
you need for the pastry 200 gr flour, 75 gr sugar, 100 gr butter, 1 egg and a pinch of salt. As filling I used 150 ml plum in pieces, 100 ml pear in pieces, 750 ml boiled spaghetti squash, a few spoons of sugar and some cinnamon.

It was lovely, we finished it before I could take a picture...

No comments: